What are the Mortgage Relief Tax Changes commencing in 2017?

From 6th April 2017, there will be gradual introduction on the restriction of relief for finance costs on residential properties to the basic rate of income tax.

These new rules only apply to individuals with residential property businesses, they do not apply to companies.

Finance costs can include mortgage interest, interest on loans, or repayment of mortgage or loans.

Landlords will no longer be able to deduct all of their finance costs from rental income to work out their profits. There will now be a basic rate reduction from their income tax liability for their finance costs.

The gradual introduction will be over a 4 year period as follows:

  • 2017/18 – restricted to 75% of finance costs, with the remaining 25% being available as a basic rate tax deduction.
  • 2018/19 – restricted to 50% of finance costs, with 50% being available as a basic rate tax deduction
  • 2019/20 – restricted to 25% of finance costs, with 75% being available as a basic rate tax deduction
  • 2020/21 – all finance costs incurred by Landlords will now be given as a basic rate tax deduction